Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes: 2 cups
- 1 lb plum tomatoes
- 1 to 2 jalapeño or Serrano chile peppers
- 1/2 onion, (yellow, white or red)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat an outdoor grill on high. On a large baking sheet, spread tomatoes, jalapeño and onion and brush with oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add tomatoes, jalapeño and onion directly to grill and cook, turning once, until tomatoes and jalapeño are soft and blistered and onion is colored. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Coarsely chop onion and chop and core tomatoes; transfer to a medium bowl. Wearing gloves, halve jalapeño lengthwise and remove stem and seeds. Dice flesh and add to bowl. Add lime juice and additional salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine. If desired, add additional lime juice, to taste. Stir in cilantro just before serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 15, Total Fat: 0 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 3 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 1 g, Sodium: 68 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Try this smoky salsa with our Stuffed Poblano Chile Peppers!