Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
- 1 whole garlic head (about 10 cloves)
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel away the outer papery covering of the garlic and slice off the top of the head so that most of the cloves are exposed. Place on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle oil over cloves. Cover in aluminum foil and bake on oven rack or a tray for 45 minutes, until garlic is soft. Once cool, squeeze to extract garlic pulp into a bowl and set aside.
- Place potatoes, turnips and cauliflower in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Combine garlic, potato mixture, sour cream and milk in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Remove, garnish with chives and serve.
Nutrients per 2/3-cup serving (using 1/4 cup sour cream): Calories: 90, Total Fat: 1.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 15 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 55 mg, Cholesterol: 5 mg