Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 1½ cups marinara or other pasta sauce (try this Clean Eating recipe)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vodka (more makes it “spicier”)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 4 Pacific halibut steaks, about 4 ounces each
- In a small blender or food processor, purée the cashews and ⅓ cup of water until smooth.
- In a large frying pan, over low heat, combine the cashew cream, marinara sauce, vodka, remaining 2 tablespoons water, and nutritional yeast.
- Add the halibut steaks to the pan in a single layer, skin-side down, and spoon the sauce over the fish.
- Cover and cook until the fish is done, around 8 minutes.
- Serve with whole-wheat pasta or over a bed of raw spinach (the heat from the sauce and fish should wilt the spinach).
Excerpted from Seagan Eating: The Lure of a Healthy, Sustainable Seafood + Vegan Diet by Amy Cramer and Lisa McComsey. © 2016 by Amy Cramer and Lisa McComsey. TarcherPerigee, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.