Hearty Harvest Salad
Combining fresh seasonal produce with protein-rich lentils creates a main-course salad that's satisfying for everyone around your table.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup assorted cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Metal skewers
- Pick over and rinse lentils then combine with 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Set saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. (TIP: Depending on the age of lentils, cooking time could be anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes.)
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together broth, vinegar, mustard and honey. Slowly whisk in olive oil then season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (375°F to 400°F). Thread cherry tomatoes onto 2 metal skewers. Brush all vegetables lightly with 2 tbsp vinaigrette, reserving remaining vinaigrette for salad. Grill vegetables, turning frequently until tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side for tomatoes and zucchini, 8 to 10 minutes for corn. Transfer vegetables to a platter and let cool slightly.
- When lentils are tender, drain through a sieve and place in a large bowl. Remove tomatoes from skewers, cut zucchini crosswise into bite-size pieces and cut corn kernels off cobs. Add vegetables and basil to the lentils and gently toss to combine with the reserved vinaigrette. Just before serving, sprinkle salad with cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 355, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 56 g, Fiber: 14 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 17 g, Sodium: 157 mg, Cholesterol: 1 mg
Nutritional Bonus: With their nutty flavor and hearty texture, fiber-filled lentils are an easy way to boost the health benefits of this simple grilled salad. Along with fiber, lentils also offer a generous helping of folate and magnesium – all nutrients that promote heart health. Whether you serve this dish as a main course or as a complement to grilled chicken, salmon or lean beef, you’re guaranteed to enjoy a healthy, nourishing meal.