Indian Chicken & Vegetables with Toasted Cumin Rice
Yogurt and tomato paste lend richness, and a few spices add layers of flavor to this quick, easy, and nutritious Indian dish. It works seamlessly into your upcoming meal plans!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
See this worked into a meal plan here.
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes (plus marinating time)
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp double-concentrated unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1½ tsp ground
- turmeric, divided
- 1 tsp each ground cayenne pepper, garam masala and Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 head cauliflower,
- florets only
- 2 carrots, chopped into ¼-inch rounds
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- Chopped fresh
- cilantro, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, tomato paste, ginger, 1 tsp turmeric, cayenne, garam masala, paprika and garlic. Add chicken and stir to coat. Transfer to an 8 x 8-inch baking dish, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight for best results.
- Arrange 1 rack in top and 1 rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove chicken from refrigerator, uncover and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large heavy-duty zip-top bag, combine cauliflower, carrots, curry powder, garlic powder, remaining 1/2 tsp turmeric and 2 tsp oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Spread on a large baking sheet. Transfer vegetables to top rack and chicken to center rack and bake for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat remaining 1 tsp oil on medium-high. Add cumin and toast, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add rice and toast, stirring constantly, until translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in 1½ cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve chicken with rice and vegetables. Sprinkle with cilantro (if using).
Nutrients per serving (3 oz chicken, 1 cup vegetables, 3/4 cup rice): Calories:360, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 42 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars:7 g, Protein: 32 g, Sodium:139 mg, Cholesterol:70 mg