Cream of Kale Soup
This warm, creamy soup is perfect as a side or main dish for lunch. It’s loaded with antioxidants and one serving has 5 grams of protein. For similar recipes, check out Jennifer Iserloh’s cookbook Fifty Shades of Kale.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For another kales soup recipe, see Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes, Kale & Mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled, cut into thin rings
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 ounces kale, trimmed, roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions and salt.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often until the onions soften and start to brown
- Add the kale and the chicken broth. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 1 to 2 minutes until the kale begins to soften.
- Add the cream off the heat. Using an immersion blender or food processor blend until smooth and serve.
Nutrients per serving (serving size: 3 cups): Calories: 232, Total Fat: 18 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Carbs: 15 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 536 mg, Cholesterol: 47 mg