Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 shallots, halved lengthwise, roots left intact and outer layer discarded
- 18 radishes, trimmed and halved lengthwise (if large, quartered)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 oranges, divided
- 4 5-oz boneless salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint or basil
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place shallots and radishes on baking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then spread in a single layer. Add rosemary and thyme and roast in center of oven for 12 minutes, stirring once.
- Thinly slice 1 orange. Push vegetables to edges of baking sheet and place salmon in center, skin side down. Season with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Cover each fillet with 1 or 2 orange slices. Return baking sheet to oven and cook until salmon is opaque at thickest part, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Zest remaining 1 orange; set zest aside. Halve orange.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Discard roasted orange slices. Using a spatula, lift salmon fillets away from their skin; discard skin. Divide salmon among 4 plates. Squeeze juice from 1 orange half over salmon (save remaining half for another use). Discard herb sprigs and transfer shallot-radish mixture to a medium bowl. Toss with orange zest and mint. Divide among plates with salmon and serve.
Nutrients per serving (1 salmon fillet and 2/3 cup vegetables): Calories: 244, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Omega-3s: 2,480 mg, Omega-6s: 780 mg, Carbs: 6 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 29 g, Sodium: 313 mg, Cholesterol: 78 mg
Nutritional Bonus: If you keep a careful eye on calories, radishes may become your new best friend. They contain about 1 calorie each, plus vitamin C, potassium and folate. When you enjoy them in one serving of this pan roast, you’ll also get 62% of your daily recommended dose of vitamin B6, which helps you maintain a healthy immune system and keeps your blood sugar levels stable. And that’s not all: You’ll also meet 30% of your day’s phosphorous need, essential for cell repair and bone formation.