Seared Tuna with Braised Fennel & Carrots
This simple dish lets natural flavors shine, as seared albacore tuna steaks perch atop perfectly paired fennel and carrot matchsticks.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 4 4-oz albacore tuna steaks
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb carrots (about 5 small), peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced (save fronds and stalks for another use)
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tuna with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Sear tuna in pan until lightly browned, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove tuna from pan, place on plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan with onion, carrots and fennel. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until vegetables soften. Lower heat to medium and mix in broth, garlic and remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir honey, thyme and vinegar into vegetables. Place tuna steaks over top, cover and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Serve each tuna steak with 1 cup braised vegetables.
Nutrients per serving (1 seared tuna steak and 1 cup vegetables): Calories: 170, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g Omega-3s: 690 mg, Omega-6s: 301 mg, Carbs: 16 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 15 g, Sodium: 238 mg, Cholesterol: 22 mg
Don’t miss this tuna recipe for tomorrow’s dinner!