Slow-Cooker Southwestern Stuffed Flank Steak
To ensure a tender flank roll deeply infused with the flavors of the southwest, we sear the exterior and let the slow cooker do the rest!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Serve this flank steak with a simple salad or some sauteed greens for a fuss-free meal your family will love!
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 6 hours, 30 minutes (plus 2 hours chilling time)
- 5 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup BPA-free, canned black beans
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/4 lb flank steak, butterflied (TIP: Ask your butcher to butterfly steak or follow our tutorial on cleaneating.com)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chile powder
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- In a medium bowl, combine spinach, garlic, jalapeno, onion, corn, beans, red pepper, cheddar and cilantro.
- On a clean work surface, arrange steak. Spread spinach mixture evenly over steak, leaving a 1-inch border at the “top” (the edge furthest from you). Beginning with the end closest to you, roll the steak upward as tightly as possible and wrap with several lengths of kitchen twine to secure, leaving 1 inch between each string. Transfer to a baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, soy sauce, lime juice, cumin and chile powder. Rub marinade onto steak roll. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high and mist with cooking spray. With tongs, remove steak from dish and transfer to skillet. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn and brown remaining sides (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer to a 5- to 6-qt oval slow cooker and pour broth over top. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- With tongs, carefully remove steak and transfer to a clean cutting board. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. With a sharp knife, slice steak into 10 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Nutrients per serving (2 1/2-inch-thick slices Southwestern stuffed flank steak): Calories: 263, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 8 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium: 286 mg, Cholesterol: 45 mg