Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes: About 2 1/2 cups
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses*
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on desired amount of spice
* To reduce the amount of sugar, cut the amount of molasses in half.
- Place all ingredients in a medium-size saucepan. Whisk together until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Place a lid on the pot and turn the heat on low. Lightly simmer for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the barbecue sauce to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
- Use to garnish any smoked or grilled meat