Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 10 oz whole-grain linguine or spaghetti
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/2 cup spelt or whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lb littleneck or Manila clams, scrubbed (TIP: You can replace clams with an equal amount of mussels; reduce cooking time to 3 to 5 minutes.)
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tbsp butter on medium until melted. Add half of garlic and cook, stirring, until light golden brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in bread crumbs until well coated and fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in parsley and Parmesan; set aside.
- In a large, heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tbsp butter on medium until melted. Add remaining half of garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until light golden brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in artichokes and wine and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until liquid reduces by half, about 1 minute. Add broth and clams and bring to boil. Cover and cook, stirring once, until clams open, 5 to 10 minutes; discard any clams that remain closed.
- Drain pasta and add to clam mixture. Add lemon zest and juice and toss to coat. Stir in half of bread crumb mixture. Divide among serving plates and sprinkle with remaining bread crumb mixture, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (2 cups): Calories: 475, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 69 g, Fiber: 13 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 305 mg, Cholesterol: 29 mg