Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more chicken recipes here.
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb red bell peppers
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 large whole-wheat pitas, halved
- 1 6½-oz jar artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1½ oz feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place peppers on sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately transfer peppers to a large bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Carefully peel away and discard skins. Core, seed and separate peppers into segments; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar and oregano and mix well to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium. Add chicken-garlic mixture and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes, until cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from skillet and transfer to a large plate; set aside.
- Decrease heat to medium-low and bring pan juices to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, until reduced by half. Return chicken to pan and toss to coat. Into pitas, spoon chicken, peppers, artichoke hearts and feta, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (2 pita halves with fillings): Calories: 381, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 36 g, Sodium: 549 mg, Cholesterol: 75 mg