Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 cup cooked red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp ground chile powder
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 large poblano peppers (or 4 large sweet green bell peppers), seeded and cut in half
- 8 tbsp shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 tbsp low-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, mix beans, rice, corn, tomato, zucchini, onion, garlic, chile powder, cilantro, oil, salt and black pepper. (Stuffing mixture can be prepared 1 day in advance and stored in a container in refrigerator, tightly covered with plastic wrap.)
- Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Mound 1/2 cup stuffing mixture into each poblano pepper half and place in roasting pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with Mexican cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.
- To serve, top each stuffed pepper half with 1/2 tbsp sour cream. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 2 stuffed pepper halves: Calories: 242, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 35 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 12 g, Sodium: 197 mg, Cholesterol: 17 mg