Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes: about 2 dozen silver-dollar-size pancakes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 whole large egg plus 1 egg white, beaten together
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together buckwheat and pastry flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, orange juice and all extracts. Carefully pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir gently. Add blueberries. Do not over-beat; batter should be a bit lumpy.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Using a tablespoon, place small amounts of batter on skillet. Flatten each pancake with the back of a spoon. Turn each pancake over once with a spatula, in approximately 2 to 3 minutes. When bottom browns, use a spatula to slide each pancake to a serving dish. Drizzle with honey, if desired. Serve hot.
Nutrients per 4 pancakes: Calories: 190, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 28 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 230 mg, Cholesterol: 35 mg
Note: Extra pancake batter can be frozen in a covered container and saved for a later date.