Parmesan Popovers

Whole milk, egg yolks and butter are what make traditional popovers high-saturated fat foods. Our version offers a golden, eggy, chewy yet healthy alternative that pairs well with soups and stews.

Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.

Serves: 18
Makes: 18 popovers
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes


  • 1 egg
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 cup soft tofu, crumbled
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk (or low-fat unsweetened soy, almond or rice milk)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup Kamut flour
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Olive oil cooking spray


  1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Blend egg, egg whites, tofu, milk and oil in a blender until smooth.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients and Parmesan. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let sit 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat standard muffin tin or popover pan in oven for 5 minutes.
  3. Mist hot muffin or popover pans with cooking spray. Fill cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 350°F and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until golden.


To make mini popovers, use a mini-muffin pan and reduce cooking time to 7 minutes at 425°F, then 4 to 5 minutes at 350°F.

Nutrients per Parmesan Popover: Calories: 60, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 6 g, Fiber: 0 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 60 mg, Cholesterol: 15 mg
Nutritional Bonus:

Using tofu, skim milk and parmesan cheese in these popovers increases their calcium content, offering 10% of your daily need per popover. The body stores 99% of its calcium in bones and teeth, while the other 1% is required for vital functions such as the expansion and contraction of muscles and blood vessels.
Pass on the Parmesan and your popover batter can be used to make light, fluffy pancakes that are high in protein and calcium.