Love this savory porridge? Try our breakfast porridge recipe.
Hands-on time: 13 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced asparagus spears
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked oat bran cereal
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- Place broth in a medium covered pot on high heat and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet on medium. Add asparagus and scallions and saut_ for 5 minutes. Season with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- When broth has come to a boil, add oat bran cereal. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, season with remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and let rest for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Divide oat bran porridge among 4 cereal bowls. Top each portion with a quarter of asparagus mixture, 1/2 oz feta and 1/2 tbsp mint.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 savory porridge): Calories: 156, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 423 mg, Cholesterol: 12 mg
Rich in fiber, asparagus also contains a whopping amount of vitamin K – 1 cup contains 70% of your daily need – which helps with bone formation and is essential for blood clotting.