Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- 3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small sweet white onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 small zucchini (about 2 lb)
- 4 4-oz whole-wheat or multigrain sandwich rolls
- Preheat oven to 475˚F.
- Add 1 tsp oil to a medium saucepot on medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and saute, stirring often, until onion is soft and starting to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute more. Stir in tomato paste, soy sauce and vinegar and cook until most of liquid is gone, about 1 minute. Add broth slowly, scraping any browned bits from bottom and sides of pot. Simmer liquid for about 20 minutes, until sandwiches are ready to serve.
- While jus simmers, prepare zucchini. Trim and discard stem and bottom ends of each zucchini. Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips, using either a knife or mandoline. Coat each of 2 baking sheets with 1 tsp oil. Lay zucchini strips on trays in a single layer and transfer to oven. Roast for 10 minutes, then flip zucchini strips over using tongs and return to oven for 10 minutes more, until zucchini is browned and very tender.
- Slice sandwich rolls in half and place in oven to warm during final 5 minutes of roasting time for zucchini.
- Remove zucchini and rolls from oven. Divide zucchini among 4 rolls. Using tongs, pull caramelized onions out of jus and divide among 4 sandwiches. Ladle about 1/2 cup jus into 4 small bowls and serve hot with each sandwich for dipping.
Nutrients per serving (1 skinny French dip sandwich and 1/2 cup jus): Calories: 185, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 30 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 299 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg