Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp whole allspice berries
- 4 6-oz wild salmon fillets (skin-on or skinless)
- 4 thin lemon slices
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed of fronds and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, combine pomegranate juice, 1 cup water and honey. Stir to combine and add allspice. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Add salmon to slow cooker and top with lemon slices. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until salmon is just opaque in center.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad: In a large bowl, combine fennel and onion. Slice a thin layer off top and bottom of 1 orange and place cut-side-down on a cutting board. With a paring knife, remove peel, following the curve of the fruit. Discard peel and transfer orange to a wide shallow bowl. Carefully cut downward along the membranes toward the center of orange to separate segments. Repeat with remaining orange. Add orange segments and juices to fennel-onion mixture. Add pomegranate arils, mint, oil and vinegar and toss to combine. Season with pepper. Divide salmon and salad among serving plates.
Nutrients per serving (6 oz pomegranate-poached salmon and 1 cup salad): Calories: 352, Total Fat: 14 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Omega-3s: 2,980 mg, Omega-6s: 1,120 mg, Carbs: 20 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 36 g, Sodium: 109 mg, Cholesterol: 94 mg