Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes (plus 2 – 48 hours marinating time)
- 1 2-lb flank steak, trimmed of visible fat and halved against the grain
- Juice 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- Place two steak halves in a re-sealable bag.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, garlic, parsley, cumin, paprika, cayenne and 2 tsp oil; pour into bag. Seal and massage bag to coat beef. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (up to 48 hours).
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a cast iron grill pan on medium-high. Add steak, 1 at a time, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil and let rest for about 3 minutes. Slice across the grain into 1/4-inch slices.
Nutrients per serving (4 1/4-inch slices Southwestern Grilled Flank Steak): Calories: 178, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Carbs: 2 g, Fiber: 0 g, Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 25 g, Sodium: 65 mg, cholesterol: 37 mg