Southwestern Grilled Flank Steak
Flank steak is lean and economical, a perfect blank canvas to paint with ample flavor thanks to our piquant marinade! Be sure to marinate overnight to ensure that your meat is nice and tender.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes (plus 2 – 48 hours marinating time)
- 1 2-lb flank steak, trimmed of visible fat and halved against the grain
- Juice 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- Place two steak halves in a re-sealable bag.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, garlic, parsley, cumin, paprika, cayenne and 2 tsp oil; pour into bag. Seal and massage bag to coat beef. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (up to 48 hours).
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a cast iron grill pan on medium-high. Add steak, 1 at a time, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil and let rest for about 3 minutes. Slice across the grain into 1/4-inch slices.
Nutrients per serving (4 1/4-inch slices Southwestern Grilled Flank Steak): Calories: 178, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Carbs: 2 g, Fiber: 0 g, Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 25 g, Sodium: 65 mg, cholesterol: 37 mg