Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 4 cups chopped arugula
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 10 oz beef tenderloin, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 3-inch-long strips (1/8 inch thick x 1/2 inch wide)
- 4 tbsp peeled and chopped avocado
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns, crushed or ground
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Set oven to broil on low. In a large bowl, combine iceberg, arugula and romaine lettuces. Divide greens among 4 plates. Arrange 1/2 cup mushrooms and quarter of each red pepper, cucumber and onion on each plate of greens.
- Prepare Black Peppercorn Yogurt Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, buttermilk, peppercorns, garlic and vinegar until smooth and incorporated. Season with salt and whisk again.
- Mist a small baking pan or stone with cooking spray. Place beef strips on pan and broil for 6 minutes, turning once after 3 minutes. Divide beef among salads (about 2 1/2 oz each). Drizzle each with 1/4 cup Black Peppercorn Yogurt Dressing and sprinkle 1 tbsp avocado over top.
Nutrients per steak salad: Calories: 187, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 15 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 220 mg, Cholesterol: 39 mg