Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- 1 cup raw unsalted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- Optional for garnish:1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Place the nuts in a medium bowl and cover with a couple of inches of water. Soak for 8 hours.
- Rinse and drain the pistachios (they will have increased in volume to about 1½ cups), and transfer to a high speed blender. Add 1 cup fresh water, the honey, almond extract, and salt, and 1 pint fresh strawberries, about 1 minute. (You should yield a scant 2 cups pistachio cream).
- Spoon the pistachio cream into 4 small dessert cups or bowls. Arrange the berries on top. Sprinkle with pistachios and, if desired, orange zest. Serve.
Dina Cheney is a regular contributor to Clean Eating and is now the author of The New Milks. Featuring 113 cooking and baking recipes, the book explores dairy-free alternatives to milk. Find it here.