Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced frozen unsweetened or fresh strawberries
- 4 tbsp Sucanat, divided
- 2 tbsp natural fruit-sweetened strawberry jam
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp raw honey, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (no sugar or salt added)
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain cream cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9 x 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook strawberries on medium-high for 10 minutes. Add 2 tbsp Sucanat and strawberry jam and stir. Heat for 5 minutes, until jam is melted and Sucanat is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, place pan in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flours, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt with wire whisk until well incorporated.
- To a blender, add yogurt, soy milk, eggs, 1/4 cup honey, remaining 2 tbsp Sucanat, oil and corn and purée until smooth, about 10 to 15 seconds.
- In a small food processor or chopper, purée strawberry mixture until blended but still chunky, about 15 to 20 seconds. Set aside.
- Add yogurt mixture to dry flour mixture and mix until dry ingredients are just barely blended. Do not over-mix.
- Pour half of cornbread mixture into prepared square pan. Then spoon strawberry purée on top, swirling gently. Top with remaining cornbread mixture. Place in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick or tester comes out clean when inserted into cornbread. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, place cream cheese in a small glass bowl and microwave on high for about 10 to 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir with a rubber spatula. Mix in remaining 1 tbsp honey. If mixture seems too thick, add up to 1 tbsp water, 1 tsp at a time. Drizzle cream cheese mixture over warm cake. Cornbread can be divided into 16 squares.
Nutrients per 3-oz square: Calories: 148, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 25 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 172 mg, Cholesterol: 28 mg
Nutritional Bonus: A sweet treat doesn’t have to be devoid of nutrients. Our Strawberry Cornbread proves that you can indulge while doing something good for your health: a 3-oz square packs over 21% of your day’s vitamin C, 18% manganese and 15% zinc.