Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry-packed)
- 8 oz whole-grain fettuccine pasta
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup boxed or jarred low-sodium diced tomatoes, with juices (TRY: Pomì Chopped Tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup (6 oz) firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Bring a small pot or kettle of water to a boil. In a small heat-proof bowl, add sun-dried tomatoes and enough boiling water to cover. Set aside for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; during the last minute of cooking, add spinach and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Drain, return to pot and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-high. Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Add to skillet and cook, turning once or twice, until light brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Reduce heat on skillet to medium and add remaining 1 tsp oil. Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes and sauté for 1 more minute. Add diced tomatoes, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, blend sun-dried tomatoes, onion mixture, tofu, broth and cheese until smooth. Stir into pasta mixture and heat on low. Add chicken, stir to combine and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Garnish with basil.
Nutrients per serving (1 1/2 cups): Calories: 435, Total Fats: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 47 g, Fiber: 10 g, Protein: 41 g, Sugars: 6 g, Sodium: 524 mg, Cholesterol: 81 mg