Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more vegetarian recipes here!
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash,
- halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1½ tsp Spanish smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp whole-wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Prick squash all over with a fork. In a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish, place squash cut sides down and add 1/2 inch water. Bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-high. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tsp oil, onion, jalapeño and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- With a fork, scrape stringy spaghetti squash flesh into a large bowl. Add mushroom mixture, cheeses, paprika, salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Spread in baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake for 25 minutes, until bubbly.
Nutrients per serving (3 x 4-inch piece): Calories: 173, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 13 g, Fiber: 1 g,Sugars: 2 g,Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 220 mg, Cholesterol: 28 mg