Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- 4 cooked spiny (aka rock) lobster tails, halved lengthwise, deveined and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 2 Hawaiian papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 avocados, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups cubed watermelon (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 8 7-inch whole-grain or corn tortillas
- 1 head iceberg or Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 oz shredded unsweetened coconut
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine lobster, papaya, avocado, watermelon and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, honey and jerk seasoning. Drizzle over lobster mixture and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Divide lobster mixture among tortillas and garnish with lettuce and coconut. Season with salt and pepper.
TIP: For an extra kick, add diced jalapeno pepper.
Nutrients per serving (1 lobster taco): Calories: 304, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 36 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 20 g, Sodium: 292 mg, Cholesterol: 56 mg
Nutritional Bonus: You might think of crimson tomatoes in relation to the color-inducing antioxidant lycopene, but rosy watermelon is also a fantastic source of the carotenoid, the effects of which have been linked to cancer prevention. Not only that, but the crisp and juicy fruit is also rich in the amino acid citrulline, which has been found to relax blood vessels. For this reason, and because of its high water content, watermelon is favored by runners – especially high-milers, who run extreme distances .
Spiny lobsters have no claws, so the majority of their meat is in the tail. For the most sustainable choice, opt for California, Mexico or Florida wild-caught.