Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Air fresheners that hang off rearview mirrors are convenient but not natural. What if you want the scent but not the synthetics? Try these sweet and simple DIY air fresheners for your car, home or gym bag. Start with wool felt, a fabric that naturally diffuses essential oils and can be reused indefinitely, minimizing waste. Cut into shapes and combine essential oils to fit your mood and the season.
Cinnamon & Cardamom Air Fresheners
MAKES 4 AIR FRESHENERS
1 sheet paper
1 piece 100% wool felt (roughly 9 x 12 inches)
1 bottle sweet orange essential oil
1 bottle cinnamon essential oil
1 bottle cardamom essential oil
1 hole punch
1 ball string or twine
1. Draw shapes of choice onto paper and cut out.
2. Pin paper shapes onto felt and cut along edges.
3. Punch a single hole near the edge of each of your felt cutouts and thread a piece of string through it. Tie a knot to create a loop.
4. For each cut-out, drop essential oils directly onto felt (10 drops sweet orange, 6 drops cinnamon and 3 drops cardamom per cutout).
5. Hang in spaces that need freshening. When scent has faded, reapply essential oils (every 4 to 6 weeks).