Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
For another easy and clean how-to, see How to Make Your Own Household Scrub.
Minty Herbal Mouthwash
- 1½ cups filtered water
- 2 tsp dried peppermint
- 2 tsp dried calendula
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp anise seeds
- 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Heatproof jar or teapot, for steeping
- Large tea ball or tea bag, optional
- Glass bottle or jar with lid
1. Bring 1½ cups filtered water to a boil. Into a heatproof jar or a teapot, pour boiled water.
2. To container with boiled water, add peppermint, calendula, fennel seeds, anise seeds and cinnamon. (TIP: Alternatively, place herbs in a large tea ball or tea bag before immersing.)
3. Let herbs steep for 30 minutes. Then, using a small fine-mesh sieve to strain herbs, pour infused water into a clean bottle or jar.
4. Add ¼ tsp sea salt and stir to dissolve. As you get used to saltiness of your rinse, begin increasing salt to ½ tsp for more germ-fighting power.
TIP: Store rinse in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. To use your herbal mouthwash, after brushing, swish a mouthful gently in your mouth and through teeth for 30 seconds.