Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Try this citrus sage hair treatment to moisturize your scalp and prevent dandruff. Sage is a traditional herbal hair remedy that helps promote healthy hair growth while the combination of grapefruit and lemon helps remove product buildup, allowing your locks to shine!
Citrus Sage Hair & Scalp Treatment
- 2 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 grapefruit
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp jojoba oil (NOTE: You can also used cold-pressed olive oil.)
NOTE: Although this treatment is generally safe for all hair colors, use with caution if you’ve recently colored your hair.
1. Add sage leaves to ¼ cup boiling water and steep until cool.
2. Into a small bottle, pour juices and oil. (TIP: Use a salad dressing or oil bottle with a small spout for easy application to your scalp.)
3. Remove sage leaves from water and add sage water to juice-oil mixture.
4. Shake well before use. (TIP: Wash your hair first if you use a lot of styling products.) Apply to wet or dry hair. Working in sections, apply drops between parted hair, gently massaging the treatment into your scalp with your fingers. Allow it to coat all your hair down to the ends. Leave treatment on for 20 minutes. Rinse and wash hair as usual.