Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 4 4-oz albacore tuna steaks
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb carrots (about 5 small), peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced (save fronds and stalks for another use)
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tuna with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Sear tuna in pan until lightly browned, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove tuna from pan, place on plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan with onion, carrots and fennel. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until vegetables soften. Lower heat to medium and mix in broth, garlic and remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir honey, thyme and vinegar into vegetables. Place tuna steaks over top, cover and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Serve each tuna steak with 1 cup braised vegetables.
Nutrients per serving (1 seared tuna steak and 1 cup vegetables): Calories: 170, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g Omega-3s: 690 mg, Omega-6s: 301 mg, Carbs: 16 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 15 g, Sodium: 238 mg, Cholesterol: 22 mg
Don't miss this tuna recipe for tomorrow's dinner!