7-Layer Dip Salad
A meal version of the popular 7-layer dip, this salad is packed with tasty layers such as crisp lettuce, olives, cheese and avocado. Canned black beans add a source of protein without having to cook – for a twist, try mixing them with corn kernels for extra sweetness. You can use corn from the cob or frozen and thawed corn.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Black Beauties: Black beans were first discovered in Peru centuries ago and have been a mainstay of Latin cuisine ever since. The versatile legume adds hearty protein to this vibrant salad along with a big dose of soluble fiber, shown to fight heart disease and prevent stroke, and their high levels of antioxidants have been found to protect the body against oxidative stress and DNA damage.
½ avocado, peeled and pitted
1 small jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and chopped
¾ cup packed fresh cilantro
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp raw honey
1 small clove garlic, chopped
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped (about 8 cups)
1 15-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 cup sliced pitted black olives
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup all-natural jarred salsa
⅓ cup sliced red onions
2 cups whole-grain tortilla chips
1. Prepare dressing: In a blender or food processor, process avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, honey and garlic until well combined. With motor running, drizzle in oil through feed tube until dressing is mixed and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: This recipe makes more dressing than you’ll need. Use the desired amount then refrigerate the rest for salads throughout the week.
2. Assemble salad: Spread ¾ of lettuce over the bottom of a serving platter. Over lettuce, spread beans, avocado, olives, cheese, salsa, onions and remaining ¼ of lettuce, placing ingredients in defined, decorative lines. Drizzle about ¼ cup dressing over top; serve with remaining dressing and tortilla chips on the side.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 629
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 28 mg
- Fat Content 45 g
- Fiber Content 15.5 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 825 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 28 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g