Black Beauties: Black beans were first discovered in Peru centuries ago and have been a mainstay of Latin cuisine ever since. The versatile legume adds hearty protein to this vibrant salad along with a big dose of soluble fiber, shown to fight heart disease and prevent stroke, and their high levels of antioxidants have been found to protect the body against oxidative stress and DNA damage.
1. Prepare dressing: In a blender or food processor, process avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, honey and garlic until well combined. With motor running, drizzle in oil through feed tube until dressing is mixed and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: This recipe makes more dressing than you’ll need. Use the desired amount then refrigerate the rest for salads throughout the week.
2. Assemble salad: Spread ¾ of lettuce over the bottom of a serving platter. Over lettuce, spread beans, avocado, olives, cheese, salsa, onions and remaining ¼ of lettuce, placing ingredients in defined, decorative lines. Drizzle about ¼ cup dressing over top; serve with remaining dressing and tortilla chips on the side.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 629
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 28 mg
- Fat Content 45 g
- Fiber Content 15.5 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 825 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 28 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g