TERRIFIC TOAST: With only 11 grams of carbs per serving, this bread keeps insulin levels low – one reason to favor a lower carb count. Ours uses a combination of almond and cashew butter to form a protein-packed base. The cashew butter is rich in iron, copper and phosphorus, while the almond butter contains vitamin E and calcium.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
3 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 1 tbsp whole flaxseeds
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup almond butter
½ cup cashew butter
4 large eggs, room temperature, separated
¼ cup plain unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
ripe avocados, as needed
fresh lemon juice, as needed
sea salt, to taste
everything bagel spice mix or hot sauce, optional
1. Prepare bread: Place racks in center and lower rung of oven and preheat to 300ºF. Fill a baking dish with water and place on the lower rung. Mist an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, line with parchment and mist again.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut flour, ground flaxseeds, baking soda and ½ tsp salt, breaking up any lumps. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat almond butter, cashew butter and egg yolks until well combined, 1 minute. Beat in almond milk and vinegar. Stir in coconut flour mixture. In a separate bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold one-quarter of whites into almond butter mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites until incorporated.
3. Transfer batter to loaf pan, spread evenly and sprinkle with whole flaxseeds; bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out bread; let cool completely. Cut into 12 slices.
4. To prepare 2 servings: Toast 4 slices bread. Mash 1 avocado with lemon juice and salt, to taste. Spread avocado carefully over bread, top with bagel spice or hot sauce (if using). Wrap remaining bread well and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 2 slices with avocado spread
- Calories: 487
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 124 mg
- Fat Content: 41 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 457 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 24 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 8 g