TERRIFIC TOAST: With only 11 grams of carbs per serving, this bread keeps insulin levels low – one reason to favor a lower carb count. Ours uses a combination of almond and cashew butter to form a protein-packed base. The cashew butter is rich in iron, copper and phosphorus, while the almond butter contains vitamin E and calcium.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp coconut flour 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 1 tbsp whole flaxseeds (TRY: Frontier Co-op Whole Flax Seeds) ½ tsp baking soda ½ tsp sea salt ½ cup almond butter ½ cup cashew butter 4 large eggs, room temperature, separated ¼ cup plain unsweetened almond milk 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
ripe avocados, as needed
fresh lemon juice, as needed
sea salt, to taste
everything bagel spice mix or hot sauce, optional
1. Prepare bread: Place racks in center and lower rung of oven and preheat to 300ºF. Fill a baking dish with water and place on the lower rung. Mist an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, line with parchment and mist again.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut flour, ground flaxseeds, baking soda and ½ tsp salt, breaking up any lumps. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat almond butter, cashew butter and egg yolks until well combined, 1 minute. Beat in almond milk and vinegar. Stir in coconut flour mixture. In a separate bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold one-quarter of whites into almond butter mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites until incorporated.
3. Transfer batter to loaf pan, spread evenly and sprinkle with whole flaxseeds; bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out bread; let cool completely. Cut into 12 slices.
4. To prepare 2 servings: Toast 4 slices bread. Mash 1 avocado with lemon juice and salt, to taste. Spread avocado carefully over bread, top with bagel spice or hot sauce (if using). Wrap remaining bread well and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 2 slices with avocado spread
- Calories: 487
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 124 mg
- Fat Content: 41 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 457 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 24 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 8 g