Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb turkey breast scallopine (thinly sliced turkey), cut into 4-oz pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- Ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 4 1-oz slices low-fat Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, season turkey with 1 tsp oil, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and sauté until light golden at edges and fully cooked throughout, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg whites and milk. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Set aside.
- Spread about 1 tsp (adjust to taste) Dijon mustard on 1 side of each bread slice and place, Dijon side up, onto a flat work surface. Layer equal parts spinach, pear and turkey onto 4 slices of bread. Top each stack with 1 slice cheese and another slice of bread, Dijon side down, pressing gently.
- In a medium nonstick sauté pan, heat remaining tsp oil over medium heat.
- Using a spatula, carefully dip 1 side of a sandwich into egg mixture (egg mixture should go about halfway up the bread slice when immersed). With your hand on the top of the sandwich and spatula underneath, carefully flip to immerse the other side in egg, then gently transfer to hot pan. Sauté sandwich, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes total. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
Nutrients per sandwich: Calories: 420, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Omega-3s: 160 mg, Omega-6s: 1,270 mg, Carbs: 34 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 53 g, Sodium: 750 mg, Cholesterol: 105 mg
Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and use it to transfer dipped sandwiches to sauté pan.