Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
When you embarked on the keto diet, you had to kiss most casseroles goodbye. Lasagna – even sweet potato lasagna – was out. Any classic casserole with a potato element was swiftly shown the door (farewell, Shepherd’s pie). And don’t even get us started on the vast world of noodle- and rice-laden one-pot wonders. These carb heavy-hitters basically define the word “casserole”.
But keto eaters need quick-and-easy, 1-pan solutions too. And we’re not above the occasional home-cooked casserole that you can revisit throughout the week for a quick reheat-and-eat meals. Enter this cheesy beef and broccoli beauty. At 15 total grams of carbs (10 net carbs) per serving (1/4 of the recipe), this dish fits well into most keto eaters’ daily macros. If you’re on a more restrictive carb allowance, skip the frozen peas altogether to take this keto casserole under 10 total grams of carbs per serving.
I’m not on a keto diet, is this for me?
If you’re not on a ketogenic diet and simply limiting or avoiding grains or gluten, this dish checks those boxes too. No matter your reason for clicking this recipe, there’s a hidden bonus. If you’re a parent or the appointed home cook stretched thin for time and looking for a hit dish that will please the household, look no further than this crowd pleaser.
So, what’s the chefy twist, you ask? This is where the curried beef comes in. The curry powder added to the beef mixture is minimal and adds just enough of a grown-up flavor to please the slightly more sophisticated palates in your brood…but not enough to put off the young taste buds. And the garnish of cilantro is the perfect chefy touch to add a fresh and bright element to this otherwise rich-tasting dish. It’s totally optional by the way, so we’ll let you decide based on your own taste preferences.
For more keto-friendly delights, check these out:
- 3 keto recipes to crush cravings
- Not all keto is clean, here’s the healthiest way to do it
- Miss pizza? This keto pizza will change your life
Curried Beef and Broccoli Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish (or similarly sized casserole) with coconut oil.
- Place the broccoli in a pot and add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Steam for 2-3 minutes until just barely cooked and bright green. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the beef and break it up with a utensil into crumbles while cooking. When the beef has browned after 4-5 minutes, add the garlic, curry powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and a generous pinch of salt. Stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the peas and steamed broccoli.
- Transfer to the oiled baking dish. In a bowl whisk together the coconut milk, broth, and eggs. Pour evenly over the meat and vegetables to cover. Transfer to the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until set in the center. Top with pine nuts and cilantro before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine