Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
There’s really no better way to achieve top-tier fried foods at home than with your air fryer. The lightened-up alternative to traditional deep frying, air frying delivers the texture and taste you love without adding the less-than-ideal extra oil and calories you’d usually get. And fry fans who want to make their own crispy fried potatoes at home can easily do so with this convenient small appliances. Our Air Fryer French Fries will satisfying your fry cravings and are so easy to make, you’ll want to pull out your air fryer again and again.
The key to achieving perfectly crispy fries? Make sure to leave plenty of space between the sliced potatoes for the air to circulate while cooking. If you overcrowd the basket, you run the risk of winding up with a mix of too-crispy and uncooked potatoes. Instead, leave some space – and take a little extra time – to cook your fries in batches in the air fryer, if needed.
Once your Air Fryer French Fries are ready to serve, you can pair them with crispy fried fish or opt for a classic combo like burgers and fries. Try one of our favorite burger recipes:
Air Fryer French Fries
- Wash potatoes under cool, running water. Use a paper towel to scrub away any dirt. n This step helps to reduce the starch in the potatoes, lowering acrylamide production.
- Fill a clean bowl with filtered water. Using a sharp knife, cut away any bruised areas of the potato, then cut lengthwise into fourths. Cut each fourth into 4 to 6 long fry pieces, depending on thickness preference. Repeat until all fries are cut, then toss them in the water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the air-fryer basket to 400°F. Remove fries from water and pat dry with a clean towel. Once dry, toss fries in a bowl with avocado oil and salt.
- Set fries in the air-fryer basket, making sure to leave enough space between them to crisp.
- Air fry for 5 minutes, then shake the basket every 5 minutes until outer edges begin to brown and fries are crisp but not charred. Fries will be done within 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the air fryer. Cook in batches—you may need to do two to three rounds, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy with desired dipping sauce.
Note: Air fryer temperatures vary slightly with each model. Pay close attention while cooking and remove once browning starts.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 103
- Fat Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.3 g