Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Each of these beef-free burgers packs a full day’s dose of blood sugar–balancing manganese and almost half of your recommended requirement of fiber, which slows digestion and, in turn, the absorption of glucose.
Options: For a little variety and a lower carbohydrate intake, swap your standard whole-wheat burger bun with a toasted whole-wheat English muffin or sandwich thins.
- Prepare sauce: Heat oil in a small saucepot on medium-high. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add strawberries and 1/4 cup water and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often, until berries break down completely and liquid reduces and thickens. Stir in pepper and honey. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare burgers: Heat 1 tsp oil in a medium saucepot on medium-high. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until shallots are soft and translucent. Add 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil. Stir in bulgur, return to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let bulgur sit for 15 minutes to absorb water and cook.
- Meanwhile, add beans, almonds, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse mixture 25 times, until a coarse paste begins to form.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt and bread crumbs. Add hot bulgur and mix thoroughly. Scrape bean-almond mixture into bowl and work ingredients together, either with clean hands or by folding with a large spatula. Divide mixture into 4 equal piles and form each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet or large plate lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for about 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove patties from refrigerator. Heat a large skillet (not nonstick) on high. Brush remaining 1/2 tsp oil over surface of skillet. When skillet is very hot, add patties and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side. (NOTE: If your skillet is not large enough to hold all 4 patties without crowding, cook in batches.)
- Place 1 patty between each bun and spread about 1 tbsp strawberry sauce. Add greens, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 burger, 1 bun, 1 T sauce
- Calories 388
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 477 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2.5 g