Apple-Almond Oatmeal Soufflé
This ain't your typical soufflé! Both sweet and savory, our take on the French classic gets a breakfast spin, blending rolled oats, apple, almond, cottage cheese and almond milk.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
ENJOY IT LATER:
Refrigerate leftover soufflé for up to 3 days; reheat in microwave on medium setting for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Video: Types of Apples
Whether you’re making apple pie or simply enjoying a clean snack, there are tons of apples to choose from! Chef Jo explains
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup 100% apple cider
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 egg whites plus 2 egg yolks, divided
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 packets stevia
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated (Granny Smith or Cortland work well)
- 1/4 cup sliced raw unsalted almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly mist a 1 1/2-qt casserole dish or soufflé mold with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cider and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add oats. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk yolks, cottage cheese, stevia, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. In a separate small bowl, add egg whites and beat with an electric hand mixer on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Stir oat mixture, apple and almonds into yolk mixture. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in egg whites, using slow strokes so they don’t deflate or shrink; some lumps will remain. Spoon mixture into casserole dish and smooth the top with the back of a rubber spatula. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes on the middle rack, just until set or firm (no longer wobbly). Serve immediately, as soufflé deflates quickly; spoon portions onto serving plates.
- Serving Size 1 1/4 cup servings
- Calories 229
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 107 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 221 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g