Apple & Blue Cheese Dressing
This fruity dressing with fresh marjoram and pungent blue cheese marries well with both sweet and savory dishes on the holiday table.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 cup roughly chopped unsweetened dried apples (½- to 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raisins (TRY: Newman’s Own Organic Raisins)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 4 1/2 tsp chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 14 oz fresh-baked crusty whole-wheat bread, cut or torn into ¾-inch pieces (about 13 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 2- to 2 1/2-qt casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in apples, raisins and juice and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to plump the fruit.
- Transfer fruit mixture and any liquid to a large bowl along with marjoram, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper. Stir in bread, then add broth and gently stir to evenly moisten. Transfer to prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake until heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned on top, about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup dressing
- Calories 197
- Carbohydrate Content 35.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 330 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g