Apple Cinnamon Walnut Pancakes with Almond Butter Spread
Chunks of apples, spicy cinnamon and walnut pieces turn these hearty pancakes into a filling breakfast or energizing snack.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup chopped raw unsalted walnuts
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
Almond butter spread
- ¼ cup raw almond butter
- ¼ cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Whisk in eggs, milk, walnuts and apple.
2. In a large nonstick skillet or griddle, heat oil. Using 1 heaping tbsp per pancake, cook in batches for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden on the bottom; flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes more.
3. Prepare topping: In a small bowl, whisk together all Almond Butter Spread ingredients. Let cool then freeze half of pancakes. Refrigerate remaining half of pancakes and topping separately. Thaw and/or heat when called for and spread topping over each pancake. (Makes 12 pancakes.)