Arame Chicken Meatballs with Sriracha Pineapple Dipping Sauce
Arame seaweed adds a touch of sweetness to these Asian-style meatballs. Serve as an appetizer with the spicy-sweet sauce on the side, or wrap in lettuce leaves and drizzle with the sauce for a light main. Garnish with cilantro and arame for an extra-pretty presentation.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 6 tbsp 100% pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup (TIP: look for all-natural options, such as Tessemae's, or get our homemade recipe at cleaneating.com)
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
1. Prepare meatballs: In a small bowl, combine arame and ½ cup cold water. Soak for 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, discarding liquid. Transfer to a cutting board; finely chop.
2. In a large bowl, stir together arame and remaining meatball ingredients. Shape by rounded 1 tbsp into about 28 meatballs. Transfer to a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare sauce: To a small saucepan, add arrowroot. Slowly whisk in pineapple juice until smooth. Add remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer on medium heat, then cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
4. Mist a nonstick skillet or grill pan with cooking spray; heat on medium. Working in batches, add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until no longer pink inside,
about 10 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size 1/4 recipe
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 91 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 472 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g