Sweet sautéed fennel and orange juice mellow the peppery taste of watercress in this company-worthy dish. For the best flavor, add the watercress and orange zest to the sauté at the very last minute. If the sauté is done cooking before the fish, simply take it off the heat and stir in the greens and zest when you’re ready to serve. Use clean tweezers to remove the pin bones from the fish, or ask your fishmonger to do it for you.
- 1 navel orange
- 4 5-oz skin-on arctic char fillets, pin bones removed
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 large shallots, thinly sliced
(about ¾ cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed (NOTE: Leave 1 inch of stems attached.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Zest orange; set zest aside. Cut 4 thin slices from orange and cut each slice in half; set slices aside. Juice remaining orange; set aside.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray. Arrange fish, skin side down, on sheet. Brush tops with 1 tsp oil and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper. Arrange orange slices over top. Bake until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add fennel, shallots and remaining 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper and sauté, stirring often, until fennel and shallots are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine and orange juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until fennel is tender and liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add watercress and orange zest; toss just until watercress is slightly wilted. Serve with arctic char.
- Serving Size: 1 piece fish and 3/4 cups fennel mixture
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 295 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g