- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 sheets nori seaweed, divided
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 spears asparagus, trimmed
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 sushi rolling mat
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare pickled ginger: In a small pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Turn off heat and add ginger. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, honey and salt. Add ginger and 1/4 cup ginger soaking water, stirring until honey dissolves. Let sit for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Cut 1 nori sheet into small ribbons. Add to rice and stir to combine. Stir in sesame seeds and yeast; set rice aside until cool.
- Assemble sushi: On sushi mat, arrange 1 nori sheet. Spread 1/4-inch-thick layer of rice over sheet, leaving a 2-inch border at edge farthest from you. Horizontally arrange 1 spear asparagus, 2 slices mushroom and 2 slices avocado 1 inch from edge closest to you. Grab edge of mat closest to you and roll towards top; moisten top border with water and press to seal. Let rest for 2 minutes before removing mat. With a sharp knife, slice roll into rounds. Repeat with remaining nori and fillings. Serve with ginger.
- Serving Size: 1 asparagus and avocado roll
- Calories: 389
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 209 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g