Find more fermented foods.
- Trim asaparagus ends, leaving 5-inch-long spears (to fit below rim of 1-qt jars).
- To a blender or food processor, add all paste ingredients and process until well combined. (Alternatively, finely mince ingredients and stir to combine.) In a large bowl, toss asparagus spears with paste to coat.
- Place lemongrass and lime leaves in the bottom of a 1-qt jar and place asparagus spears on top, ends down, packing them in as tightly as possible. Use a spoon or spatula to pack in any extra paste.
- In a large glass measure, stir together brine ingredients until salt dissolves. Pour into jar, leaving 1-inch headspace between surface of liquid and rim of jar.
- Place a follower, such as a cabbage leaf, silicone mat or sterilized ceramic weight, on top of kimchi mixture to keep pieces submerged under the liquid while kimchi ferments.
- Fill a small jar with water and seal tightly with lid. Place small jar inside 1-qt jar on top of follower to keep mixture submerged in liquid. Place in a shallow bowl or baking sheet to catch overflow and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Let ferment for 5 to 8 days in a cool place away from direct sunlight, checking daily to make sure kimchi is submerged and pressing down on weight to release more liquid as needed. Remove weight and follower, seal tightly and refrigerate for up to 12 months.
- Serving Size 2 to 3 spears
- Calories 22
- Carbohydrate Content 4.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 291 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g