Check out our make-ahead meal plan!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups wheat berries
- 1 13.5-oz BPA-free can coconut milk
- 2 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 9 oz BPA-free canned navy beans
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp lemon zest and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat- leaf parsley
- In a medium stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wheat berries and toast for 2 minutes; stir in 2 cups of water. Cover and cook, stirring the berries occasionally. Once water has been absorbed, slowly stir in 2½ cups water, ½ cup at a time, until wheat berries are completely cooked. The entire process will take between 40 and 45 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook for about 5 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
- Add asparagus and cook until green and tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in navy beans, green peas and lemon zest and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and salt. Garnish with parsley and serve. Or if freezing, portion into individual-sized oven-safe pie plates for future meals. Cover with foil, label and freeze. When cooking from frozen, reheat in oven at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 465
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 454 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g