Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Tip: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate leftover stew and freeze 1 serving for Week Two.
- Season pork with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add pork and cook, turning to brown all sides, for 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In same Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tsp oil on medium- high. Add leeks and carrots and sauté, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add apple, edamame, thyme and allspice and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in beans, broth, vinegar and barley. Stir to combine and bring stew to a boil. Return cooked pork to saucepan, reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. (Note: If you prefer barley extra soft, continue simmering to desired consistency, checking there is sufficient liquid.)
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups apple & pork stew
- Calories 438
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 73 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 248 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g