- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 16-18 ChurrosServings
- 7 tbsp organic unsalted butter, divided
- 6 tbsp coconut sugar or organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic sugar), divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (35%)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment pap
er. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring 5 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp cane juice, salt and 1 cup water to a boil, whisking often. Remove from heat; stir in flour. Continue stirring until a large dough ball forms, about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer dough to a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on low for 1 minute. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla. Working in 3 additions, add egg mixture, beating well after each, until dough is smooth, elastic and slightly sticky.
4. Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1-inch star tip. Pipe dough onto prepared sheet into 5-inch strips, 2 inches apart. Bake, turning once, until golden but still slightly soft, 13 to 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, heat chocolate chips, stirring often, until melted. Whisk in cream, milk and cayenne until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
6. Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining ¼ cup cane juice. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter. Remove churros from oven; immediately brush all over with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Serve with sauce. Don’t have a pastry bag? Transfer the dough to a large zip-top bag and snip one corner to make a 1-inch opening. Pipe into strips as directed, then run the tines of a fork over the surface
of each to make ridges.
- Serving Size: 1 churro and 2 tsp sauce
- Calories: 149
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 67 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g