Total Cost: $11.77
Cost per plate: $2.94
- Prep Time
4 large artichokes
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
½ tsp sea salt, divided
1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
1½ cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
3 strips organic bacon, no added nitrates or nitrites
1 lb baby spinach
8 large eggs
2 slices crusty whole-grain bread, roughly torn
2 shallots, minced, divided
¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives, divided
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice about 1 inch off tops of artichokes and trim stems and pointed ends of leaves. Halve artichokes lengthwise; using a teaspoon or melon baller, scoop out fuzzy centers. Brush cut sides with 2 tsp oil; sprinkle with ⅛ tsp each salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet on medium. Add artichokes, cut sides down, and cook undisturbed until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off heat; add broth. Cover loosely with foil; bake just until centers are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet on medium. Add bacon and cook, turning once, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate; set aside. Drain fat from skillet; discard. Return skillet to medium heat. Working in batches, add spinach and ⅛ tsp salt and cook, tossing often, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Remove artichokes from oven; turn cut sides up. Stuff spinach into centers of artichokes, pressing gently to create wells. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl; gently pour into spinach well of 1 artichoke half. Repeat with remaining eggs and artichoke halves. Cover loosely with foil and bake until egg whites are set, 12 to 14 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, crumble bacon; transfer to a food processor and add bread. Pulse into coarse crumbs. Transfer to a separate small bowl; stir in half of shallot and 2 tbsp chives.
6. Sprinkle artichokes with bacon mixture, dividing evenly. Bake again, uncovered, until bread crumbs are golden and eggs reach desired doneness, 15 to 25 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, whisk together garlic, mustard, vinegar, 2 tbsp water and remaining 4 tsp oil, ¼ tsp each salt and pepper, half of shallot and 2 tbsp chives. Drizzle over artichokes.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 394
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Cholesterol Content: 376 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 830 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g