Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 lb Russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb rutabaga, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 3 tbsp high-heat cooking oil (sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil)
- Low-fat sour cream or unsweetened applesauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Transfer 2 large, rimmed baking sheets to oven.
- Fit a food processor with shredding attachment, Add potato, rutabaga and onion and process until shredded. (NOTE: Alternatively, shred with the large holes of a box grater.) Transfer to a clean dish towel or several layers of paper towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add potato mixture and stir to coat. Stir in arrowroot.
- Remove baking sheets from oven. Brush sheets with oil, dividing evenly. Return sheets to oven for 30 seconds. Remove from oven. Scoop potato mixture in 1/4-cup increments onto sheets and flatten each slightly with a spatula. Bake, turning halfway, until golden, about 30 minutes. If desired, serve with sour cream or applesauce.
Nutrients per serving (4 latkes): Calories: 216, Total Fats: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Carbs: 28 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 214 mg, Cholesterol: 106 mg