Love steak? Try our Grilled Herbed Steak with Rainbow Slaw.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules or ½ tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 lb boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish, optional
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, onion, Worcestershire, coffee and allspice. In a large baking pan, add sirloin. Top with 2 tbsp vinegar mixture, turning several times to coat. Marinate for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, fill a pot with about 2 inches water and set a steamer basket over top. Place potatoes in basket and bring water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and steam until fork-tender, about 13 minutes.
- Carefully remove steamer basket from pot, discarding water. Transfer potatoes to pot. With a potato masher, mash until blended. Gradually mix in milk, 1/4 tsp salt and cane juice. Cover and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Remove sirloin from marinade and add to skillet; discard remaining marinade. Cook sirloin for 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and sprinkle with 1⁄8 tsp salt and pepper.
- Add remaining vinegar mixture to skillet and bring to a boil on medium-high and cook, constantly scraping bottom and sides of skillet with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until reduced by about half. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/8 tsp salt and additional pepper. With a sharp knife, thinly slice sirloin against the grain into 16 slices. Spoon potatoes onto serving plates and top with sirloin and vinegar reduction, dividing evenly. Garnish with thyme (if using).
- Serving Size: 3 oz sirloin, 1/2 cup potatoes, 1 tbsp vinegar reduction
- Calories: 285
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 374 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g