Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Clafouti
Fresh strawberries are roasted with balsamic vinegar in this French-style baked dessert.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb strawberries, trimmed and quartered (if large, cut into sixths), divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp maple sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer half of berries to an 8 x 8-inch baking dish; stir in 1 tbsp maple sugar and vinegar. Roast about 10 minutes, until tender but not mushy, stirring halfway. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Over a medium bowl, set a fine mesh sieve and pour in roasted strawberries and their liquid. Set aside to drain for about 10 minutes. To a small bowl, transfer roasted berries. Stir in remaining uncooked berries to bowl with strawberry liquid. (MAKE AHEAD: This can be done up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Before proceeding, bring to room temperature.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mist a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. To a blender, add eggs, milk, remaining 1/3 cup maple sugar, flour, vanilla and salt. Blend on high for 20 seconds. Add butter and blend on high for 45 seconds more. Pour into prepared skillet or pie plate then scatter roasted strawberries over batter. Bake in center of oven until puffed, edges are golden and center is set but slightly jiggly, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and top with fresh berries.
- Serving Size 1/6 of clafouti
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 107 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 136 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g