Banana French Toast
Make breakfast a breeze and whip up this irresistible french toast smothered in bananas.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
2 oz low-fat cream cheese
2 tbsp unsalted natural peanut butter
¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
3 tsp pure maple syrup, divided
½ tsp ground cinnamon
8 slices whole-wheat bread
2 egg whites
¼ cup low-fat milk (preferably 1%)
1⁄8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 medium bananas, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
Olive oil cooking spray
1. In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, peanut butter, yogurt, 1 tsp maple syrup and cinnamon until smooth and creamy. Spread 2½ tbsp cream cheese mixture onto each of 4 bread slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites, egg, milk and nutmeg; set aside.
3. In a separate small bowl, toss bananas with orange juice and zest; set aside.
4. Heat a medium sauté pan on medium-high. Mist with cooking spray. Immediately dip 1 sandwich in egg mixture, coating both sides, and place in pan. Repeat, cooking 2 sandwiches in pan at once. Brown sandwiches, about 1 minute per side. Remove and top with banana mixture and remaining 2 tsp maple syrup, dividing evenly. Serve immediately
- Serving Size 1 sandwich and ½ cup banana mixture
- Calories 332
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 61 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 366 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g